Re: st: Function MONTHS

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: Function MONTHS
Date   Thu, 30 May 2013 14:24:48 +0100

Note that the format of a variable does not define its character.
Indeed I could go

sysuse auto
format mpg %td

and Stata would not complain, but nothing would change except a
display format and no spell can change something like -mpg- that is
not a date into something really a date.

That said, we understand that you have two daily date variables in which case

mofd(date1) - mofd(date2)

returns an integer value for the number of months between two dates.
Note that small details disappear and (for example) the number of
months can be a coarse measure of the difference between daily dates

. di mofd(mdy(5,30,2013)) - mofd(mdy(5,1,2013))

. di mofd(mdy(5,1,2013)) - mofd(mdy(5,30,2013))

If you want something else more precise you would need to start with
the difference in days and then proceed from there.

I don't know what the function you name in Epi Info does exactly.