Re: st: weights

Subject   Re: st: weights
Date   Wed, 15 May 2013 07:27:18 -0400

Hsu-Chih <[email protected]> and Nick:
I think one can go farther and correct at least one misapprehension
before starting with a long list of readings. Unweighted regression is
preferred not "because it is less biased and more consistent than the
weighted analysis" but because in a *correctly specified model* it has
lower variance (i.e. we start with the assumption of no bias and then
show that unweighted regression has lower variance, implying lower
mean squared error).  Models are rarely if ever correctly specified in
the real world, outside of a simulation, and so the question is one of
trading off a loss of efficiency when weighting against potential
reductions in bias, a very complex tradeoff.  Many economists are
comfortable assuming their model is correctly specified and ignoring
weights, but I am not one of them. I would recommend never ignoring
the weights.