Re: st: detonator plot with three grouping variables

From   "Roger B. Newson" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: detonator plot with three grouping variables
Date   Thu, 09 May 2013 12:05:27 +0100

My take on detonator plots is that they CAN be useful, and complementary to the CI plots for differences, because an audience presented with mean or prevalence differences will frequently ask what these differences are differences between. The important thing (I find) is to make both confidence limits visible, which of course makes the bars look a little bit less like detonators. People commonly make the mistake of coloring the bars black, and leaving the comfidence limits black too, which makes the bars look a bit more like detonators. I usually color the bars white, or light shades of grey.

The -eclplot- package, downloadable from SSC, is my usual tool for making detonator plots, specified by the options

eplottype(bar) rplottype(spike)

or

eplottype(bar) rplottype(cap)

depending on whether or not I want the confidence limits to have caps. And I usually use my graphics scheme -scheme_rbn1mono-, which you can also download from SSC, and which usually colors bars white, or fairly light shades of gray, unless instructed to do otherwise. And -eclplot- will usually put the confidence limits in the foreground, and the bars in the background, unless instructed otherwise.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil