st: Can postfile use all types of newvarlist?

From   "Falk, Jonathan" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Can postfile use all types of newvarlist?
Date   Tue, 23 Apr 2013 19:33:46 -0500

The statement:
postfile pname a1-a20 using pnamefile
generates the error 198
- invalid name
I presume this is because the documentation that the postfile command can use a newvarlist is incorrect, since a newvarlist can be of the range form a1-a20, for example.
Is thiis an error in the program or the documentation, or am I simply doing something wrong or misunderstanding the documentation of newvarlist?

Jonathan Falk
Vice President, NERA
1166 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036
Phone: (212) 345-5315

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential or legally privileged. If you received this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should destroy the e-mail message and any attachments or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing or using any information contained herein.  Please inform us of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail. Thank you for your cooperation.