st: Decoding expansion fields in dta files

From   Brian Quistorff <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Decoding expansion fields in dta files
Date   Mon, 22 Apr 2013 11:51:00 -0400

Hello,

I would like to be able to extract my characteristics (-char-) and
non-"current" multilingual labels (-label language-) from my saved
.dta files. The -help dta- says that the characteristics are stored in
the expansion fields of the file. Looking at the raw files it appears
that the other multilingual labels are stored in those fields as well.
How does one decode these fields? I can't find anything in
manuals/online. I'm using Stata/SE 12.1 for Windows (64-bit x86-64).
The files are saved in format 115, but if there are changes in how
these attributes are stored for earlier formats, help on those would
also be appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Brian Quistorff