st: Re: "Meta-analysis" of Proportions

Subject   st: Re: "Meta-analysis" of Proportions
Date   Sun, 21 Apr 2013 09:37:16 -0400

Welcome to Statalist, Kathryn.

You'd do much better if you:
1. Read the FAQ
2. Put a subject into your emails
3. Spelled Stata correctly -not "STATA" (see the FAQ)
4. Use Stata, not spreadsheet, terms: you have "variables" that you are inputting, not "columns"

Unlike a meta-analysis of a causal effect, there is no reason to
believe that proportions from the different studies will be identical, or
even similar.  So it is a bad idea to pool studies (add numerators &
denominators) to get an overall rate. The studies almost certainly have
different sample sizes and represent different populations. In the
example below, the largest study has the lowest rate and dominates the
pooled estimate.  Although you don't mention it, you also need confidence
intervals.

Here is model code:
*********CODE BEGINS************
/* Save this as "prop01.do" */
capture log close
set more off
log using prop01, replace
clear
input study events ntot
4 20 60
end

gen prop = events/ntot

/* Convert to a full data set */
gen no_events = ntot - events
save d1, replace
preserve

keep study events
gen event = 1
rename events count
tempfile t1
save `t1'

restore
keep study no_events
gen event = 0
rename no_events count
append using `t1'
sort study event
list

expand count  //expand to individual records
save d2, replace
/* Get separate CIs */
bys study: ci event, binomial agresti

/* Overall Proportion */

/* 1. Pool studies: bad idea
Weights studies by sample size
Incorrect idependence assumption for CI
*/
mean event
ci event, binomial agresti //same

/* 2. Arithmetic mean of study proportions:
probably best idea*/
use d1, clear
ci prop

/*3. Random Effects Model: assumes normality of study
effects, which must be checked by plots. Don't use
it unless you understand it and do the checks. Here, it
is to the arithmetic mean of the 4 proportions
and I would use just that and its CI
 */
use d2, clear

xtmelogit event  || study: