RE: st: Problem with bar chart

From   "Barclay Matthew (SHEFFIELD TEACHING HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST)" <matthewbarclay@nhs.net>
Subject   RE: st: Problem with bar chart
Date   Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:27:33 +0100

I think Billy's correct about this.

However, if you take a look at http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2011-01/msg00599.html, you will see that

graph bar avrpercr_b, over(condition, gap(0)) asyvars over(block)

is one solution.

Best wishes,
Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of William Buchanan
Sent: 12 April 2013 14:51
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: st: Problem with bar chart

You are only creating a bar - in a sense - for avrpercr_b and are partitioning it over the variables in the -over()- options.  The easiest way I've found to deal with these situations (since the normal solution typically evades me at the time I need it) is to create a dataset with the appropriate summary statistics and then use the -(asis)- optional argument to work around it.  Michael Mitchell's book is almost always helpful in these instances (available from StataPress).

HTH,
Billy

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 12, 2013, at 6:41, Merve Akbas <merveakbas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear statalist members,
> I have a very simple dataset (the one below)
> And I want to create a barchart that compares the means of the
> variable "avrpercr_b" between Gain and Loss, for each block.
>
> I use this command in stata
>
> graph bar avrpercr_b, over(condition, gap(0))  over(block)
>

> Which does the job, but it doesn't make the Gain and Loss  bar colors different.
>

> They both are blue and when I try to change the color of one bar - it
> dyes all of the bars.
>

> If you could help me figure out what is wrong, it would be so highly
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Merve Akbas
>

> subid blockcondition avrpercr_b