Re: st: Chow test quadratic effect

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Chow test quadratic effect
Date   Wed, 3 Apr 2013 21:09:04 -0400

Hi, Natalia.

The Chow test applies to ordinary linear regression models.  It is
worth noting that Greg Chow's paper appeared in 1960, when computing
resources were much more limited than they are today (think
electromechanical desk calculators).  I see no need to use it now.  I
would set up the models with the appropriate interactions and use a
likelihood-ratio test.  That approach is more flexible.  And,
importantly, it generalizes to other types of regression models that
involve a likelihood, such as your multinomial logit model.

As I read your message, it is not quite true that "interactions would
not help."  They would be tedious, but you should be able to reduce
the effort by using factor variables in Stata.

It would make sense to focus first on agesq, since its presence in the
model requires that age also be included.

David Hoaglin