Re: st: Re: Dealing with missing values

From   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: Dealing with missing values
Date   Tue, 2 Apr 2013 06:57:36 +0100

The function -date()- fed in this way yields a daily date, corresponding to 1 January in the year.in question. It is difficult to imagine why you want that when your dates are yearly.

Your new variable is numeric,, so string functions and operations no longer apply.

The function name -date()- can be explained: it was introduced when daily dates were the only kind of date which Stata supported as such. The undocumented synonym -daily()- is a better match for what it does.

Your problem seems to call for -destring-, not -date()-.