st: Dealing with missing values

From   Ching Wong <ching.y.wong@student.adelaide.edu.au>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Dealing with missing values
Date   Tue, 2 Apr 2013 09:28:40 +1030

Hi,

I am currently using Stata 12.

I need to convert the variable 'year' to a numeric variable by using
the commands, gen yr = date(year, "Y"). However, there is 1 missing
value generated. I have no idea why it would happen. As I have checked
every single obs for 'year', there is no missing value. But when I
checked the obs for 'yr', there is one "." after converting from
'year' to 'yr'.

Why does it happen only for the year 1990 particularly, which is the
maximum for the variable 'year'? And how should I deal with this
missing value? I have tried to replace yr="" if yr==".". But it can't
be eliminated. ie type mismatch r(109)

Year  Yr
1960   0
1940   -7305