Re: st: Dropping variables in USE statement

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Dropping variables in USE statement
Date   Thu, 28 Mar 2013 14:19:37 +0000

You can specify a -varlist- with the -use- command, which is the way
to do what you want.
This is documented in the -help- for -use-. But you do that
positively, not negatively.

-drop- in Stata terminology refers only to deletion of variables from
the current dataset, that in memory. It would never be used to refer
to something else, namely not reading in some variables.

There is no difficulty about using a wildcard * with -drop- once data
are in memory. There is an explicit example in the -help- for -drop-.

Nick