st: Dropping variables in USE statement

From   William Sankey <>
Subject   st: Dropping variables in USE statement
Date   Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:56:55 -0400

Hi Statalist,

Is there a way to drop variables on the use statement? I am bringing
in Stata dataset with too many variables (transferred over from SAS
which is a pain to drop variables because I don't think I can drop
variables with a *).

Ideally I would like to process use DATASET, drop D4* D5* D6* etc

Anyway to approach this besides going back to the original dataset in SAS?

William J. Sankey
Johns Hopkins University
MA Public Policy '12