Re: st: Please advise- Models using gllamm

Subject   Re: st: Please advise- Models using gllamm
Date   Wed, 20 Mar 2013 17:24:26 -0400

I agree with the previous comments, but I do have some advice for
Daniel.

• There is a clear example in the -gllamm- help on how to specify random
slopes and intercepts in a two-level model.

• The proposed -gllamm- statements ignore level 2 ("agency") sampling
weights. Both -gllamm- and -xtmixed- have an option to scale the level 2
and level 1 weights. The scaling is discussed at length in the manual
entry for -xtmixed- (section on Survey Data). Failure to scale weights
can lead to biased estimates for standard deviations of agency effects
(Asparouhov, 2006). Exactly which weight to choose is, in the words of
the -xtmixed- manual, a "tough call". Given your choice, -xtmixed- will
do the scaling for you, but you must scale yourself if you use -gllamm-.
See the UNC page referenced below for a Stata command that will help.

• The -gllamm- models you showed can't be defended on even more basic
grounds: How do you know that the effects of continuous variables
are strictly linear; that there are no interactions; and that standard
deviations of random effects at each level are constant?

(On the last point there are some good suggestions in the UCLA and
Gutierrez references below.)

You haven't showed us your -xmixed- models, but I suspect that the same
criticisms apply. In short, your analyses are seriously flawed. If you
are planning to publish your findings, don't, at least not until you've done
a better job.

Steve
[email protected]