Re: st: Please advise- Models using gllamm

Subject   Re: st: Please advise- Models using gllamm
Date   Sun, 17 Mar 2013 20:52:24 -0500

If a past president of the American Statistical Association says so,
there should be some merit in his words. Models fitted by -gllamm- are
surely fancy, but you need (i) a serious (matrix based) course in
regression; (ii) a serious course in generalized linear models; (iii)
a serious course in mixed models, and (iv) a serious (multivariate
calculus based) course in nonlinear optimization -- before you can
meaningfully work with -gllamm-. Or, for that matter, a lot of other
advanced models like -sem- or -cmp- or -xtmixed- or -xtmelogit-. If
all you had was a course in ANOVA, you might be able to find a
consultant who could do the work for you for $150/hour (if you are
lucky), and you won't own it. This may be OK for an urgent work if
your student visa expires in two weeks, but I totally agree with Tony
that it hardly makes for good academics.

-- Stas Kolenikov, PhD, PStat (SSC)
-- Senior Survey Statistician, Abt SRBI
-- Opinions stated in this email are mine only, and do not reflect the
position of my employer
-- http://stas.kolenikov.name