Re: st: Correlation between 2 variables overtime- accounting for repeated measures

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Correlation between 2 variables overtime- accounting for repeated measures
Date   Sun, 17 Mar 2013 13:58:21 -0400

Robson,

I would not focus on surgery.  That feature of the study was not part
of the initial question.  It emerged only in subsequent discussion.
The times are baseline, year 1, and year 2.  Unless the data suggest
it, I would not assume a time trend.  It would be appropriate to use
the constant term for baseline and have separate effects for year 1
and year 2.  If surgery has an effect, it will be reflected in the
effects for year 1 and year 2 (and confounded with them).

Formulating the analysis as regression does not reflect the idea that
x and y (initially a and b) are both dependent variables, and need to
be placed on an equal footing.  The question is the relation between x
and y, not the effect of x on y (unless Megan says that she is
interested in the effect of x on y).

The data are longitudinal, and it seems reasonable for a
random-effects model to give each participant a random intercept on x
and a random intercept on y (probably correlated).  In this
formulation, the model for each of x and y would have a constant term,
an effect for year 1, an effect for year 2, a random intercept for
each participant, and an error term.  I'm not sure whether the error
terms in the two models should be correlated.  I have not investigated
how one would fit such a model in Stata.

David Hoaglin