Re: st: Using value labels to create varlist

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Using value labels to create varlist
Date   Wed, 13 Mar 2013 10:31:36 +0100

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 12:18 AM,  <> wrote:
> So I got a dataset with about 1,500 (categorical) variables, but about
> 70 value labels mixed in pretty randomly though out the variables. All
> the value labels are slightly different and the categories change from
> one value label to the next (some binary, some likert 5 point scales,
> some 4 etc and so forth). For each variables with the same value label I
> need to send some to missing (for instance with variables with value
> label LABBG - need 5 and 6 to go to missing, for LABA, need 3 to go to
> missing...). The changes are consistent for each variable with the same
> value label...
> Is there a way to pick variables by their value label, alter the
> variable by sending a few values to missing, then picking the next value
> label... appreciate that I'll have to code up _how_ I want each value
> label to behave, but it's the picking of the variables that has got me
> stumped, lookfor doesn't seem to pick them...

ds, has(vallabel LABA)
di "`r(varlist)'"

ds, has(vallabel LABBG)
di "`r(varlist)'"

Hope this helps,

Ps. It is a Likert scale not a likert scale as it is named after a
person: Rensis Likert.

Maarten L. Buis
Reichpietschufer 50
10785 Berlin