st: Using value labels to create varlist

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Using value labels to create varlist
Date   Tue, 12 Mar 2013 23:18:44 -0000

Yo Statalisters,

So I got a dataset with about 1,500 (categorical) variables, but about
70 value labels mixed in pretty randomly though out the variables. All
the value labels are slightly different and the categories change from
one value label to the next (some binary, some likert 5 point scales,
some 4 etc and so forth). For each variables with the same value label I
need to send some to missing (for instance with variables with value
label LABBG - need 5 and 6 to go to missing, for LABA, need 3 to go to
missing...). The changes are consistent for each variable with the same
value label...

Is there a way to pick variables by their value label, alter the
variable by sending a few values to missing, then picking the next value
label... appreciate that I'll have to code up _how_ I want each value
label to behave, but it's the picking of the variables that has got me
stumped, lookfor doesn't seem to pick them...

Cheers
Jack