Re: st: Re: Defining a matrix in ml program

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: Defining a matrix in ml program
Date   Mon, 11 Mar 2013 10:00:55 +0100

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:34 AM, Joseph Coveney wrote:
> It looks as if you're trying to assign a dataset variable to a matrix cell.  I
> believe that the variables created by -mleval- from a vector are
> constant-valued, so you can choose the first row (first observation) of data
> from the variable and plug that as a scalar into the matrix cell.  Try changing
> the line of code that defines the matrix from
>
>   matrix define `MT' = [`eta1', `eta2'\ `eta3', `eta4']

>   matrix define `MT' = (`eta1'[1], `eta2'[1] \ `eta3'[1], `eta4'[1])

To give a bit more background: The mistake Cyrus made was in the use
of -mleval-. By default -mleval- create a new variable containing the
linear combination of the coefficients and the associated variables.
Even if the equation on parameter for a constant it will by default
still create variable that contains that constant for all
observations. Joseph's solution is to let -mleval- create such
variables, but use the first observation of each of these variables
when creating the matrix. Now you need to ask: what will happen when
someone accidentally specified a variable list for the 4th equation,
or when the first observation happens to be a missing values for one
of the variables included in the model? A more efficient and safer way
to do that is to tell -mleval- that these are scalars and thus not
create those variables in the first place:

    tempvar b1x b0 sigma
    tempname eta1 eta2 eta3 eta4
    mleval `b1x' = `b', eq(1)
    mleval `b0' = `b', eq(2)