st: graph with indicator variables

From   Nahla Betelmal <>
Subject   st: graph with indicator variables
Date   Thu, 28 Feb 2013 16:50:09 +0000

Dear Statalist,

I want to graph the trend of a numerical variable S around a certain
event for different  firms. For each firm the event occurs in a
different year, so I generated an indicator  variable equal 1 for the
event year in each firm and called it T0 which could be year 2003 for
firm 1 but year 2008 for firm 2 , etc. I also generated an indicator
variable for year T-1 which represents the year preceding the event
year for each firm (e.g. would be year 2002 for firm 1, but 2007 for
firm 2 ) , and variable year T+1 which represents the years following
the event year for each firm ( would be year 2004, but 2009 for firm
2, etc.). I used lag and forward functions for T-1 and T+1.

How can graph the trend of variable S around along variables : T0,
T-1, T+1. Is it possible to have  the S variable is on the Y-axis
while X-axis represents T0, T-1, and T+1 in one graph, and how?

Many thanks

Nahla Betelmal