Re: st: Purchasing Stata version update

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Purchasing Stata version update
Date   Thu, 28 Feb 2013 09:04:35 +0000

This is for StataCorp to answer, mainly, but there are other
perspectives on your specific example.

Grant reviewers and awarding committees are, in my experience,
expected to look very hard at proposed expenditure which has to be
seen to be all reasonable and all necessary.

If I were a reviewer I would reject such a detail. It could be
reasonable to fund purchase of an up-to-date version of Stata. But the
funding body should buy ahead of time the next version too when there
is no detail on what it includes and exactly when it will appear? I am
speaking for myself, but I find it hard to imagine that such a request
would be widely approved.

On the other hand, congratulations if you work with funding bodies so
generous as to do this.

Nick