st: efficient way to use local

From   Rodrigo Briceño <>
Subject   st: efficient way to use local
Date   Mon, 25 Feb 2013 12:03:14 -0600

Dear Stata users. I am dealing with a dataset that has two slightly
sets of explanatory and dependent variables. The sets are defined by
having a 1 or 2 number inside their names and also a 1 or 2 number
inside the values of one of the variables. My dependents are il1t and
il2t. The values on the variable mon are 1 and 2. So in total my
output is composed by 4 regressions (one for each 1 and 2t, and one
for each mon value).

I tried to do the following:

local X1 "mc pmv1t dr1 dr2 dpl1t"
local X2 "mc pmv2t dr1 dr2 dpl2t"

	forvalues i= 1 2{

	regress il`i't `X`i' if mon=`i'

but I got the error: invalid syntax r(198). I am not sure if you can
use a local inside a local as I expressed on `X`i'

Any help is fully appreciated.