st: Multinomial logit

From   Aндрей Протасов <>
Subject   st: Multinomial logit
Date   Mon, 25 Feb 2013 19:26:08 +0200

Dear STATA users,

I am working on multinomial logit model.

I would like to estimate the probability of leaving temporary employment in one year.

By now, I have generated 4 variables for (t+1) year.

temporary emp (1- temporary, 0 - others(self-emp, unemployment, permanent emp))
self-employment (1-self, 0 -others)
unemployment (1-unem, 0 - others)
permanent employment (1 - perm employment, 0 - others)

Do i have to create a dependent variable, which will include all  these categories to use in my regression?

Next_year (self-emp=1, perm_emp=2, unemp=3, temp emp=4)?
So, base is temp emp.

But, I am not sure if this approach is correct cause the coefficients still do not satisfy my hypothesis....

Thank You very much in advance for help.

Kind regards,
Andrei Protasov