Re: st: Frequency Distribution

From   Keniajin Wambui <>
Subject   Re: st: Frequency Distribution
Date   Fri, 22 Feb 2013 13:01:58 +0300

Thanks Maarteen for that, is it possible to get a histogram

The by() graph gives a different plot for every yr , but i guess this
did the magic
  graph bar (count) nserial, over(yr)

but now i want to show the missing values and the non missing on the
same bar.. ie for nserial ; the bar for year 2000 shows the overall
total mayb blue and the total of non missing mayb red

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Nick Cox <> wrote:
> If this is what Kennedy/Keniajin wants, then I would be pleased too.
> Otherwise the complaint is unclear to me. Precisely why is the -by()-
> graph not what you want? Do you want bars side-by-side? stacked
> vertically? and so forth.
> Nick
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 8:09 AM, Maarten Buis <> wrote:
>> You can use Nick Cox's -qplot- or -stripplot- for that. Type in Stata
>> -findit qplot- and -findit stripplot- to find them.
>> *------------------ begin example ------------------
>> sysuse auto
>> qplot weight, over(foreign)
>> stripplot weight, separate(foreign) stack width(200)
>> stripplot weight, over(foreign) stack width(200)
>> *------------------- end example -------------------
>> (For more on examples I sent to the Statalist see:
>> )
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 7:47 AM, Keniajin Wambui wrote:
>>> I want to create a frequency distribution of a variable serial number
>>> grouped by year in stata 12 I.C for windows. ie I have serial numbers
>>> collected from say from year 2000 to year 2012. i want to create a
>>> frequency plot of the serial numbers per year on one graph. How can I
>>> do it?
>>> i have tiried
>>> hist nserial ,frequency by(yr)
>>> but its giving graphs per year