Re: st: Nonparametric Methods for Longitudinal Data

From   "JVerkuilen (Gmail)" <>
Subject   Re: st: Nonparametric Methods for Longitudinal Data
Date   Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:40:37 -0500

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Roger B. Newson
<> wrote:
> I would argue that there are no such things as "non-parametric statistics".
> There are rank methods and spline methods, and both are frequently called
> "non-parametric", but both are actually based on parameters, which can be
> estimated with confidence limits (not just P-values).

To quote my theory of statistics professor, the now retired but
amazing John Marden, "Non-parametric is a misnomer, what the term
really means is lots of parameters, sometimes an infinity of them."

JVVerkuilen, PhD

"Everybody loves progress but nobody likes change." ---Fortune cookie, 1/13/13.