RE: st: Tobit graphics

From   "Kakouros, Nikolaos" <Nikolaos.Kakouros@umassmemorial.org>
Subject   RE: st: Tobit graphics
Date   Sun, 30 Dec 2012 13:53:33 +0000

Where do you declare yaxis(1 2)  though?
 It is not an option for marginsplot and setting it in the first addplotted scatter as an option doesn't seem to make a difference.  I used yaxis(2) for the secondary scatter and lfitci but that places the second y axis to the left of the first one.
Sure - I can move it to the right with the graph editor but where's the fun in that?

PS: (see, not only do I need luck, I also want fun).

From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] on behalf of Nick Cox [njcoxstata@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2012 11:03 AM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: st: Tobit graphics

In this kind of problem I usually declare

yaxis(1 2)

and then if stuff I want is in the wrong place so far as I am concerned I write

yaxis(2)

instead of

yaxis(1)

and/or vice versa.

Nick

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Kakouros, Nikolaos
<Nikolaos.Kakouros@umassmemorial.org> wrote:

> The plot thickens on the Tobit graphics.
>
> marginsplot, recast(line) recastci(rarea) addplot( (scatter x y) (lfictci x2 y2) (scatter x2 y2))
>
> worked, but the second set of data needs a different y axis.
>
> I tried
>
> marginsplot, recast(line) recastci(rarea) addplot( (scatter x y) (lfictci x2 y2, yaxis(2)) (scatter x2 y2, yaxis(2)))
>
> but the second y axis ends up stacked on the left rather than being on the right.

Kakouros, Nikolaos

> Trust me, Dr Cox. For me to get this to work, quite a bit of luck would be needed.
> Your recommendation worked, though.
>
> I used
> marginsplot, recast(line) recastci(rarea) addplot( (scatter x y) (lfictci x2 y2) (scatter x2 y2))
>
> and it worked great!

Nick Cox

> Not clear why luck should be needed, but it's not necessary to specify -twoway-. Otherwise specify what kind of error message you got.

On 27 Dec 2012, at 13:21, "Kakouros, Nikolaos"
<Nikolaos.Kakouros@umassmemorial.org

>> Ro'I,
>> Many thanks - that works great!  I changed recastci(rline) to
>> (rarea) to get the same shaded CI effect as lfitci.
>>
>> Now - is it possible to show this data on the same graph as the other
>> dataset's scatter and lfitci?
>> I tried
>> marginsplot, recast(line) recastci(rarea) addplot(twoway (scatter x
>> y) (lfictci x2 y2) (scatter x2 y2))
>>
>> I also tried
>> Twoway (marginsplot, recast(line) recastci(rarea) addplot(scatter x
>> y)) (lfictci x2 y2) (scatter x2 y2)
>>

>> with no luck...

Ro'i Zultan

2012/12/26 Kakouros, Nikolaos <Nikolaos.Kakouros@umassmemorial.org>

>>> I have a set of data and using a twoway scatter and lfitci to show
>>> graphically along with the least-squares regression line and
>>> confidence intervals.
>>> Another set of data, however, is heavily censored with the dependent
>>> variable hitting a floor at 0 (and about a third of values actually
>>> being at zero).
>>> I noted the recent discussion on Tobit, chaired by Maarten Buis.
>>>
>>> I used tobit x y, ll(0)  for the regression but not sure how to
>>> recreate the lfitci output (regression line and confidence intervals)
>>> using the tobit regression info to produce the scatter graphic.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review, transmission, re-transmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.