Re: st: hunting for the source of an error - r(603) - Dual Core problem?

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: hunting for the source of an error - r(603) - Dual Core problem?
Date   Thu, 27 Dec 2012 10:13:49 -0500

Are you creating the temp files? If so, and if you are using -tempfile- to get the name of file, there may be a conflict if Stata is releasing and reusing the file name before the OS has finished deleting the file (can happen with very large files), which would give the error you see. In this case, you might try ignoring the conventional wisdom and naming the temp files yourself, with unique names, to avoid reusing file names. Or, put a delay in the loop so the temp file has a chance to finish deleting before Stata tries to open a new one. Just a thought.

Another idea - generally a good one anyway - is, if possible, set the temporary directory to another drive, eg, d:\temp. Stata uses the Win environment variable TEMP, which you can reset permanently via some Win dialog (can't recall which). If nothing else, it will speed things up to have the temp files on a separate drive than the one the OS is on, but I sometimes find that under Windows unexpected things can happen in the AppData folder.

Hope this helps,
Jeph