st: Multilevel analysis and clustering in case control study

From   "Claassens, MM, Dr <[email protected]>" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Multilevel analysis and clustering in case control study
Date   Tue, 11 Dec 2012 10:48:01 +0200

Dear Statalist -

I am writing up an article on a case control study.  Methods:  primary healthcare facilities (clusters) were randomly selected.  All cases from the selected facilities were included.  The case:control ratio was 1:4.  Cases/controls were not matched apart from coming from the same facility.

I am interested in looking at individual level determinants (age/sex etc) as well as facility level determinants (rural/urban facility etc.).

My question is:  what is the best way to analyse this?

I have used -xtlogit- with -re- up till now, but am not sure whether the cases/controls are actually 'matched' on facility...  Should I be using -clogit- instead?  But then, how do include both levels?

Thanks very much for the help!

Mareli Claassens
PhD student

E-pos vrywaringsklousule

Hierdie e-pos mag vertroulike inligting bevat en mag regtens geprivilegeerd wees en is slegs bedoel vir die persoon aan wie dit geadresseer is. Indien u nie die bedoelde ontvanger is nie, word u hiermee in kennis gestel dat u hierdie dokument geensins mag gebruik, versprei of kopieer nie. Stel ook asseblief die sender onmiddellik per telefoon in kennis en vee die e-pos uit. Die Universiteit aanvaar nie aanspreeklikheid vir enige skade, verlies of uitgawe wat voortspruit uit hierdie e-pos en/of die oopmaak van enige lêers aangeheg by hierdie e-pos nie.

E-mail disclaimer

This e-mail may contain confidential information and may be legally privileged and is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you may not use, distribute or copy this document in any manner whatsoever. Kindly also notify the sender immediately by telephone, and delete the e-mail. The University does not accept liability for any damage, loss or expense arising from this e-mail and/or accessing any files attached to this e-mail.