Re: st: predict the dummy variable after ordered probit model

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: predict the dummy variable after ordered probit model
Date   Tue, 11 Dec 2012 10:00:54 +0100

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:04 AM, Xuan Zhang wrote:
> I have a variable which takes value from 1,2,3,4,5. Like rep78 in the
> sample data. After running oprobit, I tried to estimate which category
>  each observation falls in.
> Certainly, it's not predict p1 p2 p3, p. It gives out the probability.
> And not  predict pscore, xb, it gives the S score.
> I tried estimates store, but the results only shifts between 0 and 1,
> not like 1 2 3 4 5.

Ordered models model the probabilities of ending up in each of these
categories, so that is what you can predict. You could use some
arbitrary cut-off, e.g. probability larger than 50% or the category
with the highest probability to assign each observation to one
category, but that basically implies an extra model on top of your
order probit model so I would not do that.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Reichpietschufer 50
10785 Berlin