Re: Re: st: How to deal with r(909) "op. sys. refuses to provide

From   Murod Aliyev <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: Re: st: How to deal with r(909) "op. sys. refuses to provide
Date   Sun, 9 Dec 2012 23:44:26 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Nick and Kit

Thanks a lot for your replies! Suppose I will find a computer at the university with 64bit hard/software, is there any estimate of how much RAM I need for matsize of 8000? I do not know how the matsize is measured...

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes,

----- Original Message -----
From: Christopher Baum <>
To: "" <>
Sent: Sunday, 9 December 2012, 13:57
Subject: re: Re: st: How to deal with r(909) "op. sys. refuses to provide

You have 4 Gb of RAM, but it's typical that Windows only provides
about half to Stata. You need more RAM, i.e. a hardware change, to run
precisely this model. Otherwise you try using fewer groups or shutting
other applications (which probably won't make much difference).

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Murod Aliyev <> wrote:

> I have read a lot of threads on this issue, but still can not resolve my problem:
> I am trying to run FGLS (xtgls) with 49,000 observations, 8 years unbalanced panel with around 7,500 groups, 26 varibles in the model.
> After first trying xtgls I get a message saying "matsize too small - should be at least 7369". So, I set matsize to 8000, then I get a message r(909) "op. sys. refuses to provide memory". Could you please help me understand what is causing the problem here, and how to reslve it? I presume it is not related to the number of observations or variables, but rather caused by the way FGLS works.
> Resources in use:
> - 32 bit Windows 7
> - RAM 4g
> - Stata/SE 12.1
> - Stata "About" shows Available Physical Memory 1,945,452 KB
> - max_memory set to .

It doesn't matter how much RAM you have; on a 32-bit machine you cannot access more than ~2 Gb. You need 64-bit hardware (which presumably you have already) and a 64-bit version of Windows 7. Stata will then be able to access whatever RAM you have (subject to the caveat above, that only about half will be available to a given app).

Kit Baum   |   Boston College Economics & DIW Berlin   |
                             An Introduction to Stata Programming  |
  An Introduction to Modern Econometrics Using Stata  |

*   For searches and help try: