re: Re: st: How to deal with r(909) "op. sys. refuses to provide

From   Christopher Baum <>
To   "" <>
Subject   re: Re: st: How to deal with r(909) "op. sys. refuses to provide
Date   Sun, 9 Dec 2012 13:57:18 +0000

You have 4 Gb of RAM, but it's typical that Windows only provides
about half to Stata. You need more RAM, i.e. a hardware change, to run
precisely this model. Otherwise you try using fewer groups or shutting
other applications (which probably won't make much difference).

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Murod Aliyev <> wrote:

> I have read a lot of threads on this issue, but still can not resolve my problem:
> I am trying to run FGLS (xtgls) with 49,000 observations, 8 years unbalanced panel with around 7,500 groups, 26 varibles in the model.
> After first trying xtgls I get a message saying "matsize too small - should be at least 7369". So, I set matsize to 8000, then I get a message r(909) "op. sys. refuses to provide memory". Could you please help me understand what is causing the problem here, and how to reslve it? I presume it is not related to the number of observations or variables, but rather caused by the way FGLS works.
> Resources in use:
> - 32 bit Windows 7
> - RAM 4g
> - Stata/SE 12.1
> - Stata "About" shows Available Physical Memory 1,945,452 KB
> - max_memory set to .

It doesn't matter how much RAM you have; on a 32-bit machine you cannot access more than ~2 Gb. You need 64-bit hardware (which presumably you have already) and a 64-bit version of Windows 7. Stata will then be able to access whatever RAM you have (subject to the caveat above, that only about half will be available to a given app).

                             An Introduction to Stata Programming  |