st: Model identification in Stata sem()

From   W Robert Long <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Model identification in Stata sem()
Date   Fri, 07 Dec 2012 18:06:36 +0000

Hi Statalist

In "An Overview of Stata’s “sem” for Structural Equation Modeling" by Bollen and Bauldry (2012) the authors state that a limitation of sem() is in detecting under-identified models, giving an example of a two-indicator CFA with simulated data which is not identified, but Stata gives no warning about that. The document can be downloaded here:

Yet, here ( ) it states that models are checked for identification.

Could anyone clarify ?

FWIW I don't have Stata 12 (yet) so I can't check it for myself at the moment.

Thanks !