Re: RE : RE : st: Super-Columns with Esttab

From   Rebecca Pope <>
Subject   Re: RE : RE : st: Super-Columns with Esttab
Date   Thu, 6 Dec 2012 14:03:46 -0600

Sylvain wrote:
I have tried something with -prehead()- and -posthead()- instead. The
following code gives a table quite close to what we are looking for:

esttab dom1 dom2 for1 for2 using test.rtf, append nomtitles nonumber

Ideally, we would want to use -prehead()- instead of -posthead()- and
remove the -nonumber- option so as to have the columns numbered below
the super-columns "Domestic" and "Foreign". However, that corrupts the
rtf file... (some lines of code are missing at the beginning of the

As I understand the -esttab- .ado file, the table is automatically
defined in "head". However, since the file is written in the order
"prehead", "head", and "posthead", if you supply text in -prehead()-,
you also need to give a table definition. The plot thickens...

-prehead()- as specified is already unweildy, so let's start breaking it up.
local tabdef "{\rtf1\ansi\deff0 {\fonttbl{\f0\fnil Times New
local trowd "{\trowd\trgaph108\trleft-108"
local brdrs "\clbrdrt\brdrw10\brdrs"
local par "\pard\intbl"

esttab dom1 dom2 for1 for2 using test.rtf, replace nomtitles ///

This gets us closer. There are two problems from my perspective. The
first, as already noted, is that scalability quickly becomes an issue.
The second is aesthetic - there is a border between the row with the
supercolumn titles and the row of model numbers.

I think the border is beyond our control. I'll address scaling in another post.