st: Stata/Mata compiled to leverage latest Intel microarchitecture?

From   László Sándor <>
Subject   st: Stata/Mata compiled to leverage latest Intel microarchitecture?
Date   Sat, 1 Dec 2012 18:47:47 -0500

I just wonder why I never ran into this: Stata 12 came out when Intel
released their first CPUs using AVX (Stata 13 and AVX2 might both
debut next summer, large integer operations coming later).

AVX promises some vectorized applications (including LAPACK which
Stata uses). Did Stata (and Mata compiled code) got faster because of
this? Will it do so later?
(see e.g.

Relatedly: was it worth upgrading our CPUs in the last 18 months? Will
it be worth doing so next summer? Or only the number of cores make the
real difference?

I don't see instruction sets, special generations of CPUs mentioned in
the hardware recommendations:

Maybe these are more realistic performance improvements than waiting
for the use of the GPU.

Thanks for any news on this,