st: Stata/Mata compiled to leverage latest Intel microarchitecture?

From (Alan Riley)
Subject   st: Stata/Mata compiled to leverage latest Intel microarchitecture?
Date   Mon, 03 Dec 2012 10:05:06 -0600

László Sándor ( asked about new methods of
parallelization using Intel's AVX:
> I just wonder why I never ran into this: Stata 12 came out when Intel
> released their first CPUs using AVX (Stata 13 and AVX2 might both
> debut next summer, large integer operations coming later).
> AVX promises some vectorized applications (including LAPACK which
> Stata uses). Did Stata (and Mata compiled code) got faster because of
> this? Will it do so later?
> (see e.g.

Stata is currently not using AVX.  We are always looking at new
methods for making Stata faster and AVX is on our list of things
to investigate.

Stata/MP (and Mata within it) is parallelized using hand-coded OpenMP
methods.  We will be looking into AVX support in the future.

 -- Alan                     -- David