Re: st: How to compare RMSE of two models

From   "JVerkuilen (Gmail)" <>
Subject   Re: st: How to compare RMSE of two models
Date   Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:14:13 -0500

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 7:49 AM, rasool.bux <> wrote:
> Dear Maarten,
> Thanks for reply. May be I am not conveying my question clearly. I would like to compare the two models against the same yvariable, which model is performing better and how we could say that model 1 is better than model 2 i.e. in terms of p-values of RMSE.

I assume you don't have nested models, because otherwise you would
simply use -testparm- to consider whether the additional coefficients
are jointly 0. Non-nested model tests are tricky. The Vuong test is
one example.'s_closeness_test

However, if your y variables are the same (i.e., no missing data) you
can probably get most of what you want using AIC or by comparing
adjusted R-square changes between models. If you must have a p-value I
suspect that the only reasonable way is to use bootstrapping: