Re: st: How to compare RMSE of two models

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to compare RMSE of two models
Date   Tue, 27 Nov 2012 13:14:53 +0000

That seems to me the same question re-worded, but not more clearly. As
often happens, I started writing a reply to your first post broadly
similar to Maarten's, but he got there first.

You can use RMSE as a criterion, in which case the model with the
lower RMSE is the better model. Naturally many would want to emphasise
here that e.g. a scatter plot with fitted regression line would be as
or more informative about which model is "better".

Recasting that comparison as a signficance test seems to raise more
questions than it solves, not least quite what sense can be given to a
significance test given bootstrap results for RMSE for two models with
a shared response and different predictors.

If people don't understand what you want and/or think it seems unsound
in principle, they won't usually pass to the next question of
suggesting Stata commands to do it.

Nick