Re: st: disattenuated regression

Subject   Re: st: disattenuated regression
Date   Sun, 18 Nov 2012 11:47:18 -0500

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM, 'Alim Beveridge <alimba@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi John,
> thanks again for your advice. I was thinking of doing this actually and have
> been teaching myself how to use sem in stata.
> However does it deal with dichotomous/categorical IVs, like Mplus does?

If I understand your question correctly, your dichotomous variable is
exogenous, so you are fine. You're conditioning on it and thus its
distribution is not part of the likelihood to be optimized.

(That said it would be nice if some other fit options were made part
of -sem-, in particular unweighted least squares, diagonally weighted
least squares, etc.)

> also when I put a regression path between an observed IV (say age or hours
> worked) and my latent DV, the model does not converge. These observed vars
> are only in the structural part of my syntax, not the measurement. Is this
> not allowed?

Not converging can happen for a lot of reasons, e.g., an unidentified model.