Re: st: xtmelogit

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: xtmelogit
Date   Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:28:45 -0500

You don't say what you mean by "a very long time". I am using -xtmelogit- for a project now with 1.5million observations in 8000 groups, including some cross-level interactions, and it takes an hour or two for rare outcomes (~2%). For me, this seems reasonable.

One trick you might try is to start with a simpler model (as others have noted) and use the estimates as starting points for a more complicated model.

 xtmelogit `simple_varlist' || group:
 matrix b=e(b)
 xtmelogit `full_varlist' || group:, ///
		refineopts(iterate(0)) from(b)

tells the second model to use the results of the first model as
starting estimates when available.

The other suggestion, mentioned by others, is to use laplace
estimation.

Also, if you don't have any cross-level effects and don't care about
the estimates of the random effects, you might use -xtlogit-, which generally runs faster (why? I think because it doesn't estimate the random effects for each group).

cheers,
Jeph