Re: st: Spearman correlations with survey data

From   "Roger B. Newson" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Spearman correlations with survey data
Date   Thu, 08 Nov 2012 18:00:58 +0000

I would second that "Amen". And I would recommend the use of Kendall's tau-a as an alternative, because (a) the Central Limit Theorem works a lot faster for Kendall's tau-a than for Spearman's rho and (b) Kendall's tau-a is interpretable (in words) as a difference between 2 probabilities, namely a probability of concordance and a probability of discordance. I find this difference between probabilities easier to understand than a measure of rank linearity (which is what Spearman's rho is), and also more useful to know, as I would prefer a good non-linear monotonic predictor to a second-rate linear predictor. Spearman's rho, by contrast, is MUCH easier to estimate without a computer, which was an important issue before we had computers.

To estimate Kendall's tau-a with confidence limits in Stata with clustering and/or sampling-probability weighting, use the -somersd- package, downloadable from SSC. As in:

somersd x y [pwei=mysampwt], taua tdist transf(z) cluster(mypsu)

I have not yet introduced confidence intervals allowing for sampling strata. However, sampling-probability weights and clustering are available. And the -somersd- package comes with .pdf manuals, and with hypertext references in the on-line help to further documentation of the methiods and formulas.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil