st: -save- a varlist

From   Jeph Herrin <stata@spandrel.net>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: -save- a varlist
Date   Tue, 30 Oct 2012 10:10:54 -0400

I have a very large dataset (20gb) that I must access remotely, so that
-use- and -save- each take about 30minutes. When I have this file open,
I would like to create some secondary files that contain only 1-3 variable.

If the file were smaller, I would typically use -preserve-, -keep-,
-save-, -restore- to do this. However, this takes a couple of hours. So
I am using

. export excel var1 var2 var3 using file.xls, replace

Then later using -import excel- to read them back in. This is much
faster, but has the obvious drawback that variable labels and other
attributes are lost. It is also aesthetically unsatisfying.

Can anyone suggest an alternative?

thanks,
Jeph