st: Concentration Index for Binary Health Variable

From   Abekah Nkrumah <ankrumah@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Concentration Index for Binary Health Variable
Date   Tue, 30 Oct 2012 13:34:01 +0000

Dear Statalist,

Am using DASP to compute concentration indices with my health variable
being binary. My aim is to do cross country comparison. However
Wagstaff argues that for a binary variable, a cross country comparison
could be problematic because of possible differences in the mean of
the health variable for different countries. So his suggestion is for
one to normalise the concentration index by dividing through by 1- the
mean.

I want to find out if that is what the DASP do when you use a binary
variable to compute a concentration index or that will have to be done
manually afterwards.

Thank you very much

Regards

--
Dept. of Public Admin & Health Serv. Mgt
University of Ghana Business School

Email: gankrumah@ug.edu.gh
           ankrumah@gmail.com