Re: st: Create Timeline based on Dates

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Create Timeline based on Dates
Date   Fri, 26 Oct 2012 10:18:41 +0100

On weekends:

It seems that you have Mondays to Fridays only in your data, and you
want time to run in sequence so that Monday follows Friday.

The -dow()- function returns 1 to 5 for Mondays to Fridays. A bit of
messing around yields a mapping to sequential "dates" that omit
Saturdays and Sundays. (If you want another origin, you can just shift
it.)

Again, I need a sandpit.

clear
set obs 14
gen date = mdy(10, 20, 2012) + _n
format date %td
gen dow = dow(date)

. l

     +-----------------+
     |      date   dow |
     |-----------------|
  1. | 21oct2012     0 |
  2. | 22oct2012     1 |
  3. | 23oct2012     2 |
  4. | 24oct2012     3 |
  5. | 25oct2012     4 |
     |-----------------|
  6. | 26oct2012     5 |
  7. | 27oct2012     6 |
  8. | 28oct2012     0 |
  9. | 29oct2012     1 |
 10. | 30oct2012     2 |
     |-----------------|
 11. | 31oct2012     3 |
 12. | 01nov2012     4 |
 13. | 02nov2012     5 |
 14. | 03nov2012     6 |
     +-----------------+

gen seqdate = (5 * (date - dow(date) - 2) / 7) + dow(date)
replace seqdate = . if inlist(dow(date), 0, 6)

. l

     +---------------------------+
     |      date   dow   seqdate |
     |---------------------------|
  1. | 21oct2012     0         . |
  2. | 22oct2012     1     13776 |
  3. | 23oct2012     2     13777 |
  4. | 24oct2012     3     13778 |
  5. | 25oct2012     4     13779 |
     |---------------------------|
  6. | 26oct2012     5     13780 |
  7. | 27oct2012     6         . |
  8. | 28oct2012     0         . |
  9. | 29oct2012     1     13781 |
 10. | 30oct2012     2     13782 |
 11. | 31oct2012     3     13783 |
 12. | 01nov2012     4     13784 |
 13. | 02nov2012     5     13785 |
 14. | 03nov2012     6         . |

If you are now going to tell me that the schools have
{holidays|vacations} too, then you really need a business calendar.