RE: st: Fixed effects - not quite invariant variables?

From   <FERNANDO.MISTURA@oecd.org>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   RE: st: Fixed effects - not quite invariant variables?
Date   Mon, 15 Oct 2012 11:33:56 +0000

Hello Guo,
Many thanks. I know it might not be consistent, but I wonder if there was a way of overcoming this problem. When I use Fixed Effects Vector Decomposition I have significant results, but I've been advised not to use such method as apparently it is not consistent. The coefficients under FEVD were in fact much larger.
Thanks
Fernando

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Guo Xu
Sent: 15 October, 2012 11:35 AM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: st: Fixed effects - not quite invariant variables?

Hi,

When regressors are not changing much (as in your case), FE is prone
to measurement errors - have a look at the discussion in these
applications, it may help:

Barro, Robert J. (2000) 'Inequality and growth in a panel of
countries.' Journal of Economic
Growth 5(1), 5-32

Banerjee and Duflo (2003) 'Inequality and Growth: What Can the Data Say?'

Guo