st: problem with -recode- inside an .ado file

From   Dino Gibertoni <>
To   <>
Subject   st: problem with -recode- inside an .ado file
Date   Fri, 12 Oct 2012 14:21:30 +0200

dear Statalisters,
I have the following issue with the recode command.

If this line:

recode riskdiabeteantidorali riskdiabetecardiomio riskdiabetemicroalbu
riskdiabeteneuropatia riskdiabeteproteinuria riskdiabeteretinopatia
riskdiabeteterdieta riskdiabeteterinsu riskdiabetevasculopatia (2=0)

is executed from inside and .ado file, I get the error message
"unknown el riskdiabetecardiomio in rule". If I run the same line from
the do editor or if I run the whole program as a .do file, it works
perfectly. I don't understand where is the problem, can someone help

Thanks for your attention

Dipartimento di Medicina e Sanità Pubblica - Alma Mater Studiorum
Università di Bologna
Via San Giacomo, 12 - 40126 Bologna Italia