Re: st: unrar - unzipfile

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: unrar - unzipfile
Date   Wed, 10 Oct 2012 18:32:26 +0100

Aaron's giving good answers but I am not clear why the question
emphasises doing this while -shell-ing out. I've had good results
under Windows with PeaZip

http://peazip.sourceforge.net/index.html

and I typically enter PeaZip as a separate application. Then it's
usually easy to see what's what. That is  especially helpful if the
compressed file is not quite as you expect, or contains several files,
which are not equally interesting or useful.

I note that as a generality the answers to such questions depend on
operating system; it's only an incidental mention of "win" as a prefix
that lets us guess that Pablo is using Windows. The FAQ encourages you
to specify operating system if it could possibly be pertinent.

Nick

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Aaron Kirkman <ak1795mailserv@gmail.com> wrote:
> I misspoke. Once you've set the path from the Windows command line
> (which can be invoked by running --shell-- from within Stata), this
> command:
>
> !unrar e filename.rar
>
> should work from within Stata or a do file. It's a shell command, but
> the exclamation point will break the command if it's run from the
> Windows command line instead of Stata.