Re: st: unrar - unzipfile

From   Pablo Bonilla <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: unrar - unzipfile
Date   Wed, 10 Oct 2012 15:32:43 -0400

Thank you both for your answers.

I found that I have to run both DOS commands in the same line within
the Stata or the do-file editor.

shell set path="C:\Program Files\WinRAR";%path% & unrar  e "filename.rar"

Otherwise it does not  work because each time the shell opens the DOS
the "set path" command does not remain.

Thank you both. This is super useful.

PS: do you know where can I learn more about DOS or executing useful
DOS commands from Stata ???

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> Aaron's giving good answers but I am not clear why the question
> emphasises doing this while -shell-ing out. I've had good results
> under Windows with PeaZip
>
> http://peazip.sourceforge.net/index.html
>
> and I typically enter PeaZip as a separate application. Then it's
> usually easy to see what's what. That is  especially helpful if the
> compressed file is not quite as you expect, or contains several files,
> which are not equally interesting or useful.
>
> I note that as a generality the answers to such questions depend on
> operating system; it's only an incidental mention of "win" as a prefix
> that lets us guess that Pablo is using Windows. The FAQ encourages you
> to specify operating system if it could possibly be pertinent.
>
> Nick
>
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Aaron Kirkman <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I misspoke. Once you've set the path from the Windows command line
>> (which can be invoked by running --shell-- from within Stata), this
>> command:
>>
>> !unrar e filename.rar
>>
>> should work from within Stata or a do file. It's a shell command, but
>> the exclamation point will break the command if it's run from the
>> Windows command line instead of Stata.
>
>  On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Pablo Bonilla
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> I would like to know if there is a command that “unrar” my rar files.
>>> The -unzipfile- command does not work with .rar files. If that command
>>> does not exist, do any of you know how to use the -shell- command in
>>> order to use “winRAR” with the purpose of unrar my files?

----

Pablo Bonilla