st: RE: growth rate

From   "Swanquist, Quinn Thomas" <qswanqui@utk.edu>
Subject   st: RE: growth rate
Date   Wed, 10 Oct 2012 13:39:56 +0000

If you must use xtset to do this, you can create a new variable to identify the year as follows:

sort id year
by id: gen yearid = _n
xtset id yearid
gen growth=D.loggdp

Alternatively you could use:

sort id year
by id: gen growth = loggdp - loggdp[_n-1]

Of course your growth rate is based on unbalanced panel data so you'll need to consider that when using this variable for its intended purpose.

Quinn T. Swanquist
qswanqui@utk.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Lynn Lee
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:25 AM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: st: growth rate

Nick,

My panel data has 4 years for each country,2007,2002,1997,1995. The gap is not same. Therefore, I do not know how to assign value to -delta()- in -xtset-. I figured out why  Stata11 generated all missing values for growth rate. But the year gap is unbalanced. I tried -xtset id year,delta(5)-,
Stata11 told me "time values with period less than delta() found.

Now, I replace "1995" with "1992" artificially, then I got the growth rate.

But is there any direct way (not need to replace the year artificially) which can generates growth rate for unbalanced year gap panel data?

I appreciate for your help.

Best Regards,
Lynn Lee