st: reclink -- type mismatch

From   David Sikkink <David.Sikkink.1@nd.edu>
Subject   st: reclink -- type mismatch
Date   Sat, 6 Oct 2012 16:35:43 -0400

Dear Stata users,

When I run reclink to match records across two datasets, I get a type mismatch error. Here is my command and the result:

*********************
reclink varlabel using TestVCVarName1 , idu(VCID) idmaster( QualID) gen(myscore)

1 perfect matches found

Going through 1980 observation to assess fuzzy matches, each .=5% complete
...........type mismatch
r(109);

*********************

Any ideas? I know that "varlabel" does have a lot of special characters in it, but not sure why that would lead to this error, a type mismatch. I have found that any parentheses need to be removed from "varlabel" in order to get reclink to work. But this new error is surprising.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

--David

David Sikkink
Department of Sociology