Re: st: Re: Spanish characters from windows to mac

From   Ronan Conroy <rconroy@rcsi.ie>
Subject   Re: st: Re: Spanish characters from windows to mac
Date   Fri, 5 Oct 2012 10:46:28 +0100

On 2012 MFómh 25, at 23:06, Gabriel Nicolás Camargo Toledo wrote:

> Dear statalist,
>
> I have a problem, at my office we use Windows XP or 7, and at home I
> have an Imac, both with the same version of Stata 12/IC. Every time I
> use spanish characters on a Do-file in Windows  and open it on Mac (or
> viceversa)  this characters turn into some really weird characters.
>
> Any advice? I really need to use this characters since we are
> publishing in spanish.

Using a text editor such as Textwrangler (OS X, free) you can open your do-file as Windows Latin and save it as, say, Mac OS Roman. This will certainly render the characters correctly. It remains saddening that the various operating systems cannot apparently standardise around a common characterset.

Ronán Conroy
rconroy@rcsi.ie
Associate Professor
Division of Population Health Sciences