Re: st: Draw a random sample of my data...

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Draw a random sample of my data...
Date   Thu, 4 Oct 2012 01:46:16 +0200 (CEST)

Thank you very much Nick for your answer. The "stable" option
helped solving my problem. However a new question emerged:
I have a
little problem with generating a new dataset. I first use the command
"sample" and "set seed" to generate a new  dataset.
But I still have problemswith integrating my random sample dataset within
the original  paneldata. The reason is that US firms account for more than
50% of the  dataset, this affects the cross-country results very strong.
However,  with respect to the world wide industry business volume, US
firms  account 29%. Therefore, I draw a random sample, in which I randomly
 account 29% of the US firms in the dataset. I have a panel data with
countryID firmID and years. After running the random sample and setting
the seeds, I would like to merge the randomly generated dataset of US
firms (with random firmID and random years) with my original panel data
(with countryID firmID and years). But: how can I merge the dataset in
which only the random sample of US firms is considered (for additional
years within the original paneldataset) and the other US fimrs are
dropped. How can I genetrate a variable, in which I can say that only
"the random" US firms can be considered within the original
panel  dataset for all years?
 Please help..Thank you in
advance...Mehmet Altun

 My commands look like: